Nutrition advice: who can I trust?

What we eat and how we move or use our bodies are two of the most powerful tools we have for staying physically and mentally healthy. And this is well know within the wellness community. As a result, with the number of resources supposedly giving out nutrition advice increasing dramatically over the past decades. Morevoer, there is an increased number of people seeking nutritional advice. But who can you really trust?

The trouble of seeking nutrition advice is that there is no legal definition of “Nutritionist” and there is no specific course or exam to pass to use this title. There are a few government-approved health practitioner register. However, it it estimated that many people practicing as Nutritionist are not register in any of them.

In conclusion, what I’ve been noticing is that when it comes to food, everyone seems entitled to give out nutrition advice and believe they are “an expert”! From Health Coaches or Fit experts to Dietitians and Nutritionists, it can be overwhelming and confusing to understand who is really qualified. 

In this paragraph, we will discover together who can you trust for nutrition advice.

Who can give personalised nutrition advice in the UK?

Registered Dietitian (RD)

Registered Dietitians (RD) have obtained at least a four-year degree in nutrition/dietetics at universities accredited by the British Dietetic Association. They are expert in treating and managing specific medical condition using scientific based nutritional advice. They typically work in the NHS, private practice, private healthcare company or medical research. RD, is a legally protected title, regulated by the Health Care Professional Council (HCPC).

Registered Nutritionist (ANutr & RNutr)

Registered Nutritionist have obtained at least a three-year degree in nutrition at university and most of the time along with a postgraduate qualification. They use scientific, evidence-based nutrition advice to share the impact of food and lifestyle on individuals’ health. They are member of the Association for Nutrition (AfN) a voluntary government-approved register. Registered Associate Nutritionist (ANutr) are newly graduates, which need to have an additional 3 years supervised practice to become Registered Nutritionist (RNutr). This is something I’m in the process of transferring to next year.

Nutritional Therapist 

Nutritional Therapists have obtained a diploma or undergraduate degree in nutritional therapy accredited by either:

This title is recognised as complementary medicine along with other holistic approaches. They use a mixture of science-based and non evidence-based advice. 

Finally, anyone who uses a title other than Registered Dietitian (RD), Registered Nutritionist (ANutr or RNutr) or Nutritional Therapist (evidence based!) is not qualified to give out personalised nutritional advice. 

What should you do to protect yourself?

If you need support and want to receive personalised nutrition advice, ask anyone about their qualifications and see if they are qualified. Finally, search for professionals with a legally protected title, such as the ones mentioned above.

Get in touch with me now at to start working with me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s